Get NURS 6670 Week 1: Psychiatric Assessment of the Adult and Older Adult nursing paper from our top nursing papers writers.
NURS 6670 Week 1: Psychiatric Assessment of the Adult and Older Adult
Many assessment principles are the same for children and adults; however, with adults/older adults, consent for participation in the assessment comes from the actual client and not parents or guardians. The exception to this is adults/older adults who have been determined incapacitated by a court of competent jurisdiction. Some adults may be easier to assess than children/adolescents as they are more psychologically minded. That is, they have better insights into themselves and their motivations than children/adolescents (although this is not universally true).
Older adults present some of their own unique assessment challenges in that they may have higher levels of stigma associated with seeking psychiatric care. Additionally, there are higher rates of neurocognitive disorders superimposed on other clinical conditions such as depression or anxiety, which creates additional diagnostic challenges.
This week, you will develop your own personal format for initial interviews of mental health clients. You also will explore the restrictions and limitations for practice as a PMHNP in your home state and create a plan for passing the national certification exam.
Order Now for a top nursing paper on NURS 6670 Week 1: Psychiatric Assessment of the Adult and Older Adult
Discussion: Interview Format
Despite what you may believe (or may have been told), there is no such thing as one “right” way to do an interview. In fact, there are numerous books written about the various ways of conducting the clinical interview. In actual clinical practice, you will find the format that “works” best for you and addresses your unique strengths and the needs of the client.
In this Discussion, you will practice finding the interview format that works for you and share those ideas with your colleagues for feedback.
- Develop formats for initial interviews of mental health clients
Note: For this Discussion, you are required to complete your initial post before you will be able to view and respond to your colleagues’ postings. Begin by clicking on the “Post to Discussion Question” link and then select “Create Thread” to complete your initial post. Remember, once you click submit, you cannot delete or edit your own posts and cannot post anonymously. Please check your post carefully before clicking Submit!
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review the Learning Resources.
- Develop an interview format you would use for an initial interview of a client.
By Day 3
- Attach the interview format document you would use for an initial interview of a client.
- Describe what interview format your preceptor uses for the initial interview of a client.
- Describe which element of your interview format is most helpful in your practice.
By Day 6
Respond to at least two of your colleagues by constructively critiquing their interview format and providing feedback.
Assignment 1: Week 1 Practicum Journal Entry: Certification Plan
Psychiatric/mental health nurse practitioners currently have only one choice for certification, which is through the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). The ANCC offers the “psychiatric/mental-health nurse practitioner (across the lifespan)” board certification (PMHNP-BC). In many states, board certification is needed as a prerequisite to being granted an NP license. Even if board certification is not a requirement for state licensure, it may be a requirement to receive privileges in various hospitals and other health care facilities. It may also be required by malpractice insurance providers prior to issuing coverage to NPs.
In this Practicum Journal Assignment, you will develop a plan, which will serve as the road map for you to follow to attain your certification.
- Analyze state restrictions or limitations for practice
- Compare PMHNP practice environments in various states
- Analyze clinical practice issues
- Create plans for passing national certification exams
**Assigned in Week 1 but submitted in Week 4
To prepare for this Practicum Journal:
- Review the interactive nurse practitioner (NP) scope of practice law guide in your Learning Resources.
- Review your state regulations and a neighboring state or state in which you would like to practice.
- Reflect on how to approach relocating licensure from one state to another.
- Review certification exam requirements for PMHNPs.
Write a 2- to 3-page paper in which you do the following:
- Describe the PMHNP practice environment for your home state, highlighting restrictions or limitations for practice.
- Compare the PMHNP practice environment in your home state with a neighboring state or a state in which you would like to practice.
- Describe a professional and/or clinical practice issue a new PMHNP will need to consider and address with the certification, licensure, credentialing, or relocation process.
- Develop a checklist for passing the national certification exam, including a detailed timeline that includes academic preparation (study plan), registration, financial preparation, etc.
By Day 7
Submit by Day 7 of Week 4.