Adequate technology and an understanding of that technology are necessary, but they are not enough for a successful [informatics] implementation … Researchers and others involved in [informatics] implementations have found that people skills such as leadership, communication, and training are absolutely essential.
—Fenton, Giannangelo, & Stanfill, 2006
A nurse informaticist must always remember that he or she is not leading an information technology project; but rather a clinical project using information technology tools. What exactly does that mean? It means that the technology is a tool to enhance the quality, efficiency, and safety of the organization. The phrase “clinical project” also highlights the main focus of implementation efforts: the clinicians or nurses using the tool. By overlooking the “people” side of the implementation, an organization might be put at risk of experiencing one or more of the factors that challenge the success of informatics initiatives.
In this Discussion, you identify factors that can impact an informatics implementation. You also explore how you might use the ANCC Magnet model to overcome such challenges.
- Review the media, The Nurse Informatics Leader, presented in this week’s Learning Resources. How can nurses apply leadership strategies to facilitate change during informatics initiatives?
- Select one of the factors presented in this week’s Learning Resources: organizational culture, organizational change management, or nursing leadership skills. How might this factor contribute to challenges experienced during an informatics implementation?
- Review Chapter 29, “The Magnet Model,” of the course text Essentials of Nursing Informatics. Consider how a nurse informaticist could use a component of the ANCC Magnet model to address your selected factor.
Post 550 words in APA format and 3 references. Apply the level one headings below:
1) The factor you selected and explain how inattention to this factor might present challenges during an informatics implementation and why.
2) Identify which component of the ANCC Magnet model might be the most appropriate in helping nurse informaticists address this factor. Justify your response. (See attached file on “The Magnet Model”)