Discussion Part I: Scope of Practice, Credentialing, and Negotiation
the scope of practice of an advanced practice nurse Note: In this course, some Discussions will have two parts:
· Part I will consist of a specific topic related to the week’s content.
· Part II will consist of a pharmacology review of approximately 250 words. Please submit each posting separately but within the same Discussion thread.
You will be assessed on your posting and responses to both parts.
As medical care evolves, so does the role and scope of practice of the advanced practice nurse in acute care settings. When providing patient care, however, you, as an advanced practice nurse, must always ensure that you are working within the scope of practice outlined by your state’s laws and institution’s regulations. For this Discussion, you examine these laws and regulations and consider how they might affect your future clinical practice, consider the credentialing process for your area, and discuss negotiation techniques you may use in a job search.
To prepare for the scope of practice of an advanced practice nurse:
· Locate a collaborative practice agreement. Based on this agreement, consider the scope of practice of an advanced practice nurse in your state.
· Locate and select at least two hospitals where you would be interested in working at once you obtain your licensure.
· Locate the hospitals’ credentialing documents and investigate the scope of practice at each hospital.
o Note: All hospitals do not have the same scope of practice even if they are located within the same city and state.
· Consider how the laws and regulations of the state and hospitals might affect your practice with medical and surgical patients in acute care settings.
· Think about how you would negotiate your first Advanced Practice role. Consider issues such as salary range, Continuing Medical Education (CME), license and DEA costs, insurance, hours, on call requirements, etc.
Post on or before Day 3an explanation of the scope of practice of advanced practice nurses, as outlined in the collaborative practice agreement. Then, identify the two hospitals of interest that you selected. Based on the credentialing documents, explain the scope of practice for acute care advanced practice nurses at each hospital. Explain how this might affect your practice in terms of caring for medical and surgical patients in acute care settings (i.e., medical treatments, procedures you can perform, interpreting diagnostics, etc.). Finally, describe job negotiation considerations.
Note: To support your Discussion post, you must include references (with URL links) from the state and the hospitals you selected.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ responses.
Respond on or before Day 6 to at least two of your colleagues on 2 different days who selected a different state or hospital from yours. Share additional insights or alternative perspectives.